Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Healey Coming Together March 2008-January 2009





Well, I have had a lengthy hiatus from this blog. A lot of work has happened since last March. I installed Dynamat in the cockpit. I put in carpet from Heritage. I put in a vinyl panel kit from Heritage as well. My leather seat kit is from AH Spares. I took the upholstery to a professional to have the leather seats covered and much more. I covered the rear seat back in leather by myself. I installed the windshield in the best of the three frames that I have. A piece of wood fell off of a shelf and cracked the windshield that I was going to use so I had to use a different spare. Bummer! I installed the windows in the driver side, weather-stripping and inner panels. I covered the dash and dash top. I wired the headlights and put the buckets in. They still don't work. I don't know why. I installed the rear trunk latch. I can't get it to latch and have ground and worked on it for hours on end. I got a Lempert steering wheel made out of English walnut. I got my chrome bits (grill surround, door tops, handbrake, cockpit surround, door handles, fender spears and more) rechromed by a local chroming shop south of Green bay. Very resonable prices. They did a great job too. I installed the grill surround and the best of the four grills that I have. I put together four extra carb and manfold assemblies which I will eventually swap out and see which one I like best. I have two triple carb set ups and I'm working on assembling a 2-inch carb set up. I installed a high torque gear reduction starter motor that works great. I pulled the gearbox and installed a special oil seal from Moss. It wasn't too bad but I never could get the damn little rope spring attached. A lot of cuss words flew that day, some new ones were invented too. The biggest item that I got were four, chrome 72 spoke Dayton wire wheels. SWEET!

Anyway, it has been a very productive year on the Healey and it is looking awesome! It took a lot of time and a lot of beers to get to this point. As near as I can figure, it I could have had another MS degree in that amount of time and outlay of cash. I also figure that I consumed something like 7665 beers in that amount of time. That is three beers a day for seven years. At approximately one dollar per beer that is $7665.00. That is more than I paid for my first three Healeys put together- $600, $125 and $625 which total $1350.00. I paid $4500 for this 1963 BJ7 back in January of 2002. So, $4500 plus $1350 equals $5850. Therefore, I have consumed more money in beer than I have paid out in initial purchases of Healeys. I’ll drink to that!

2 comments:

the mostly reverend said...

you're lucky it was only a piece of wood that fell on your windshield, and not the entire shelf of stuff.

it looks great, though. i look forward to you driving it on ragbrai sometime.

The Baxter Family said...

Drive it down to Galesburg with the family sometime.

Dave B.