Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Healeys of My Past




These are the Healeys in my past. The dark blue one is a 1959 100-6 BN6. A friend of mine Jeff Fields bought it in October of 1982 from Don Nauss in Emmettsburg, Iowa for the princely sum of $840. The car was not rusted at all accept for the rear doglegs. It came with new wheels and tires. We got the car running in about three days. No rear fenders, no rear lights, no bumpers and no seats. We wired the doors shut with some bailing wire and hit the road late at night. We took the Healey west of town late at night at hit 110 mph. What were we thinking? We rebuilt the engine and gearbox a month later. We rebuilt the gearbox on the floor of my apartment in college in Iowa City. We were hammering the main shaft and bearing into the casing on the floor at 2:00AM when my roomates pounded on the door and said to keep it down. I eventually got evicted from the place. In 1983, my friend Jeff sold the car to a guy in Austin Texas who was from Germany and he planned on taking it back to Germany. I have not seen the car since, but I will find the serial number and post it here soon.

No comments: