Thursday, January 15, 2009

More Healeys From My Past










This is my brother's 1963 Healey 3000. He bought it from a Donald Knutt in West Des Moines in 1969 for $425. It was smashed in the left rear from sliding on ice and hitting a brick and concrete pillar. It was a light metalic green then he had it painted BRG. He sold the car in 1974 while attending graduate school at the University of Iowa to a guy and I'm not sure, but I think that his name was Don Meyer. The serial number was 19,669. To this day, we don't know what ever happened to this car. My brother had this car for five years while he was in college and he drove this living piss out of it. It had to have a rebuilt engine, carbs, brakes, constant body work and more because he drove it so hard. He always had four, random brand tires on the car that were totally bald. He says that he took the car up to and over 100mph almost every day. He also had 48 spoke wheels and was constantly getting used wheels in slightly better condition than what he currently had. Eventually, he got some 60 spoke wires and they lasted a couple of months longer than the 48s. To change a tire he would always lay the wheel down in the driveway, then drive up over the edge of the tire to break the bead and get the tire off of the wheel to change it. Then go at it with tire irons. I have fond memories of riding around and helping work on this healey when I was a kid. I had hands skinny and small enough to reach up under the dash to put a heater hose back on the heater. In one of the pics I can be seen in the back jump seat. When my brother had the car it ws in two accidents. The first one is when the neighbors car, (a 1970 Ford LTD), got knocked out of park by a litle kid climbing around in it. The car the proceeded to back out of the steep driveway and onto the street and roll down the steep street where my brother's Healey was parked. The huge barge of a car rolled right up onto the back of my brother's Healey. The shroud was only minimally damaged, but the top and fender were ruined. The second accident happened in 1970, when my brother saw a long blond-haired, hippy chick in super-short, blue jean cut offs and a halter top hitch hiking. He promply braked and swerved over to pick her up and a motorcyclist was staring at her as well and rear ended the Healey and went right up the shroud at the tail light/reflector area. The guy was ok but pissed that he trashed his motorcycle. My brother was pissed that he trashed his Healey and didn't get the hippy chick to ride with him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, the memories of this '63. I spent a LOT of time in the right seat. I'll never forget the boom of the straight 6 echoing off the brick wall next to the Governor's mansion as we'd head off for another lap of the twisty bits south of Grand, or that sickening popping sound indicating Scott had overstressed a 48 spoke AGAIN! Then there was always the less than comforting motion of the dash as things got "flexy" at triple digit speeds, and that one memorable night doing the ton on the freeway in a rather heavy, but not yet accumulating snow! Thanks for the momories, Randy, and for spotting that Mini Cooper ad in the paper nearly 40 years ago that led me to my life long British car addiction...

Ric Johnson
Des Moines, Iowa
'71 MGB, '74 MGB-GT, '75 MGB
Webmaster www.dmvrscca.org