Tuesday, March 18, 2008

body work and assembly 2004-2005

These pictures are of the Healey body work stage. Before I applied an lightweight putty I did all of the bodywork myself using an assortment of hammers and dollies to get the panels as close as I could. This part was actually kind of fun. Where metal had been stretched on the steel panels, I used heat shrinking techniques. I tried to hammer the dent out as much as I could then used a shrinking hammer, propane torch and a wet rag to quench the area and shrink it. I was careful as not to get the metal too hot. It worked well but took a long time. It helps to have two people do this task. I didn't have many dents on the Healey to contend with. Also, I did not use any heat on the aluminum.

I absolutely dread this stage of restoration. The application of putties and primer and sanding until my fingers are bloody bones. The yellow is a Marson high-built primer with low-shrinkage. It is catalized and sands really easily. I eventually switched to a NAPA 1422 high build catalized gray primer. I like it a lot. I always put too much putty on and then end up sanding it all off. I probably went through 4 gallons of feather-light putty with 80% ending up on the floor, 10% ending up in my clothes and lungs and the remaining 10% ending up on the car. I also used an Evercoat catalized spot putty. I know that my shop is pitted, but it was part of my strategy to keep my wife from coming out and bugging me.


No comments: